Proto21, a Dubai-based 3D printing company founded in May 2018 by Engr. Pir Arkam, a young Pakistani technopreneur, graduate of the Department of Telecommunication Engineering, MUET. Partnered with Dubai Based Joseph Group, Proto21 has been providing 3D printing services to a wide range of industries. Driven to become the largest 3D printing service bureau in the MENA region, Proto21 currently exports ‘Made in Dubai’ items to various countries across the globe.
Proto21 is an outcome of Pir Arkam’s long term passion towards 3D Printing which started during his exchange semester at the University of Huntsville, Alabama, the USA which he was pursuing during his Bachelor of Engineering at Mehran University. On his return, for the final year project, he opted to make his own 3D Printer and by the high support of MUET administration, he successfully made the first 3D Printer in Pakistan.
Since the start of COVID-19 pandemic, Proto21 has transformed its 3D printing labs into a manufacturing hub for various personal protective equipment such as 3D Printed face shields, ventilator splitters, door handles, and valves for snorkel masks.
Proto21 3D Printing LLC has so far produced more than 20,000 3D Printed face shields for various credible Dubai organizations and companies such as Dubai Police, Dubai Health Authority, Mc Donalds to name a few.
“Dubai provides the most conducive environment for people willing to put in their best efforts. The support you get as a local manufacturer is enormous and I had a great opportunity to work with major government and private organizations in Dubai and the UAE to help meet their 3D printing requirements. In two years, we have tripled our revenues and had exponential growth” said the Founder and CEO of Proto21, Pir Arkam
The success of Proto21 3D Printing LLC demonstrates the nurturing high-growth environment that Dubai’s innovation-driven economy offers ambitious entrepreneurs. It is also a testament to Dubai’s role as a global hub for innovation and entrepreneurship. Success stories of Proto21 have been published by different newspapers of UAE. In regard to successful entrepreneurship and supporting the pandemic, Pir Arkam and his company have been given enormous local and international media coverage. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Dubai Media Office Twitter: https://twitter.com/DXBMediaOffice/status/1259087732627968000
- 1000 face shields for Dubai Police: https://twitter.com/DXBMediaOffice/status/1250418867752460289
- Gulf News: https://gulfnews.com/business/dubai-3d-printing-company-pitches-in-to-fight-covid-19-1.71417124
- The National: https://www.thenational.ae/uae/health/coronavirus-dubai-3d-printing-firm-delivers-vital-support-to-frontline-workers-1.1017098
- Khaleej Times: https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronavirus-pandemic/combating-coronavirus-dubai-police-provide-over-1000-3d-printed-face-shields
- Business Insider India: https://www.businessinsider.in/international/news/uae-based-3d-printing-firm-to-make-ppe-for-covid-19/articleshow/75660454.cms
- 3D Printing Media Network: https://www.3dprintingmedia.network/dubai-police-provides-3d-printed-face-shields-to-its-frontline-personnel-combating-covid-19/
Congratulations to Engr. Pir Arkam for his remarkable achievement and contributions. Mehran University of Engineering and Technology is proud of its Alumni serving around the world.